The Boscar Electric building was built in 1875 and originally housed the No. 4 Fire Station. It was the only firehouse in the City of Utica's history to house three steamers, the greatest number by any engine company ever. These steamers included a Cole Brothers Steamer in 1874, a Clap and Jones Steamer in 1884, and in 1906, the pride of the Department, an American "Metropolitan" three-horse steamer.
In 1957, the City of Utica made the decision to permanently close the No. 4 Fire Station due to the extensive cost of repairs.
In 1985, Michael G. Scarafile and Peter Borello purchased the building and totally renovated its interior and exterior. During renovations, they found original straw, hay and hoist that were used for insulation. This building, at 745 Lafayette Street, became the home of Boscar Electric Co., Inc., the name being a combination of the first syllables of their last names.
Upon Peter's passing in 2003, Mike continued the operation of Boscar Electric and still works from the original building as a Licensed Electrical Contractor and Consultant.